Tuesday 27 September 2016

Guelph

"Late last night so far away, I dreamed myself a dream,
Well, I dreamed I was so alone, isn't it nice to be home again?"
-James Taylor


      


I am back in Guelph. I have been here for almost two weeks. It is weird that I have already been home as long as I was in Lesotho. Time here certainly moves a lot quicker than it does there. I am not sad to be home: I like it here. This is my home. I am not sad to have left there. But I sure am thankful I got to go.

This is likely how I will end  this blog, and I was really hoping to finish strong. I wanted to write something powerful and profound, reflecting on what I had learned and how my new found knowledge can help others, but I am struggling to write anything all. I am okay with that. The truth is, I am struggling to understand what I experienced there and struggling with what to do with it all. If you have read this blog you already know the idea was for me to simply experience things there. I went to see, hear, smell, touch, and taste what life is like for for orphans who have lost their parents to AIDS, and what life is like for those who are caring for them. Then I was to come home and tell those stories. I guess I am somewhere in the middle right now. I certainly had a wide variety of experiences, and now as I settle back into teaching, parenting, laundry, banking, and vacuuming, I am waiting for the stories to start showing up.









No comments:

Post a Comment